Fluffy Coconut Basmati Rice

Posted by on April 16, 2011 | 22 Comments

Sweet and sour chicken … it was something I had always wanted to recreate at home, but never quite got around to. Well last week the night for my home-cooked, Chinese take-out adventure arrived. I found a simple recipe in one of the many magazines I read (Cooking Light perhaps?), and I just happened to have all of the ingredients on hand.

The recipe came together very quickly, and the colors of the dish were vibrant … too bad it tasted like crap. I mean seriously, they paid someone to come up with that formula? We ate it, I mean, it wasn’t so horrible that it needed to be thrown out, but it won’t be repeated and I won’t even be attempting to modify that recipe to improve … it’s just not worth the ingredients. Tony said it tasted like ham and pineapple pizza. Mind you, we both like Canadian bacon + pineapple pizza, but this was not the right format.

Buuuuuuut … the rice, oh the rice. I had received some Texmati Rice for review and thought my “special entrée” deserved something beyond plain old white rice. It was a white basmati, so I knew it would be light and fluffy, but a couple of additional ingredients amped up the comfort factor. This wasn’t one of those smack you in the face flavor kind of sides, but rather a really simple and mellow feel good food, if you will.

So though I had hoped to share a killer Chinese sweet & sour recipe with you (I use the word “Chinese” loosely here, as the recipe-gone-awry was even more Americanized than Americanized Chinese cuisine), at least I have a delightful side dish recipe to share …

Basmati Coconut Rice

The coconut milk adds to the fluffiness and richness of this rice, but the coconut flavor is very, very subtle. If you want more of a coconut vibe, feel free to add in some unsweetened coconut shreds. This rice goes wonderfully with bright stir-fries and Thai food.

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, and Sugar-Free.

• 2 Cups Basmati Rice (I used Texmati White Basmati Rice)
  • 1/2 Cup Regular (full fat) Coconut Milk (the kind sold in cans)
  • 3 Cups Water
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Serves 6

P.S. ~ I also tried the Texmati Brown Rice. It was a lovely grain, and quite fluffy for a brown rice. I actually ate most of it for breakfast, with cinnamon, freshly ground pecan butter and a few other flavor treats … I probably should have written that down to share too, but I’m hungry in the mornings and my mind isn’t always on recipes! I have to agree with HEAB that the Texmati brown rice does have a sweet popcorn smell as it cooks!

Blog Events:

1. That sucks about the chicken experiment, but the coconut basmati sounds heavenly. I am going to try it with brown basmati I think 🙂

2. Oh YUM, the rice sounds delicious! Sorry about the chicken, that really stinks, but at least the rice was good. We are all about rice here these days since it’s gluten free. I hope you are doing well and that everything is moving in the right direction!

3. Andra Ruscoe says:

I’m going to make this next time I do an spicy Indian curry! Thanks for the recipe.

4. Lauren says:

I have to make that coconut rice!

I find the recipes from CL are hit and miss. But how can you go wrong with coconut rice? Oh wait, I don’t like rice or coconut…still I can appreciate this recipe. 🙂

See comment above – “not a smack you in the face flavor recipe” – aka – it’s Katie “the coconut hater” friendly. Try it, I think you would like. If you don’t I’ll pay you back for the coconut milk That’s a 100% guarantee 🙂

6. I LOVE your unadulterated honest, Alisa! At least the rice was a huge success. Like I tweeted, every word of the title speaks to me. Yum! Will definitely make this recipe soon. Mr. GFE goes especially crazy over rice. 🙂

7. Bethany S. says:

I am going to message you the recipe I use for sweet and sour chicken. (It’s not breaded or fried though, and it’s naturally dairy-free.) It includes the rice (one-skillet dish), so you’d have to find another dish to pair with the coconut rice.

I can’t wait to try the rice!! Maybe with my soy-free teriyaki chicken!

This is so strange, just the other day I was craving coconut rice! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

Love it! I just made coconut rice the other night to go with tilapia and mango-pineapple salsa! 🙂

Sometimes I forget why i typically avoid Cooking Light recipes. And now I remember. Sorry the sweet and sour was so bad!

The coconut rice does sound fantastic though. I’m a sucker for anything coconut-flavored!

11. Sophie says:

MMMMMMM,..;that rice sounds so good & tempting to me!

12. I have had that happen with some recipes from that magazine too. I guess our family just needs the full fat form!! And I make coconut jasmine rice ALL of the time! I love it!! I often add a small squeeze of lime and a bit of zest to it too! Yum!! NOw you have me craving this rice!!!!
    xo
    k

Ooh, I love the lime twist girlfriend! I actually do a similar rice with peas, toasted cumin and some lime. Mmmm!!!!

Yep, I almost always add fat to the cooking light recipes too!

13. Alta says:

I’m sorry your Cooking Light recipe didn’t work. But yes, I agree – coconut rice is AWESOME.

14. I adore coconut basmati rice and always forget to make it. Thanks for the reminder!

15. I love Texmati Brown Rice…it’s really good!!!! Never had coconut rice though!