** This giveaway has closed, but you can still enjoy all of the recipes in this post! See below! **
The entries for the ZenSoy Recipe Contest have been gathered … there will be one winner in the pudding category, and one winner in the soymilk category, and you get to decide!
Simply vote once (for each category) in the comment section of this post, and you will also be automatically entered to win a $100 prize package of ZenSoy Pudding and Soy-on-the-Go!
Yes, just enjoy perusing the mouth-watering recipes below, and cast your vote for one of the soymilk recipes and one of the pudding recipes, and consider yourself entered in today’s giveaway (The voting will close at the end of the day on Monday, January 31, 2011 – then I will announce all THREE winners) …
ZenSoy Soymilk Recipes
(vote for one in the comments below!)
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Recipe and Photo by Maiah
1/3 cup melted nondairy margarine
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raw cane sugar
2 tablespoons flax meal
6 tablespoons water
1/2 cup ZenSoy chocolate soymilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 cups, heaping, of grated zucchini
1 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
Optional glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon ZenSoy Chocolate Soymilk (or alter ingredient amounts until desired consistency is reached).
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease a 9X13” pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix flax and water in a small dish, set aside.
- Sift baking soda, flour, cocoa and spices, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix margarine, oil, sugar, flax and water mixture and soymilk.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the zucchini, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, and drizzle with chocolate powdered sugar glaze if desired…enjoy!
Low Calorie Eggnog
Recipe by Keith – “You will find this is a light flavored eggnog. Yes it does mix with rum!”
2 cups ZenSoy vanilla soy milk
1-3+ tablespoons no sugar maple syrup (sweeten to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or more to taste)
- Blend well
- Heat slowly until 180ºF, but stop before a boil.
- Cool or drink warm.
No Dairy Apple Sweet Potato Pie
Recipe by Hidemi
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1/3 cup Olive Oil
2 Small Apples Golden Delicious
1 Sweet Potato (about 2/3 lb)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Zen Soy Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Make pie crust. In a bowl, combine all purpose four and olive oil. Form the dough into a ball. wrap in a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time, peel apples and cut 1 apple into thin slices. Cut the other apple into half inch cubes.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil and cook apples for 1 minutes. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until tender. Then add cinnamon powder, stir and turn the heat off. Let them cool.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Boil until tender and mash.
- In a bowl, combine maple syrup, Zen soy milk and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add cooked apples and mix until well coated. Then take apples out of the bowl and place on the plate dividing sliced apples and cubed apples. Once you remove the apples, take the remaining syrup and add to the mashed sweet potato. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap the dough, roll the dough into a circle 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface and place it into 9 inch pie pan. Press the pastry into the pan with fingertips. With knife, trim the overhang dough and poke holes in bottom and side of crust.
- Spread the half of mashed sweet potato on the crust and place cubed apples, then spread the rest of mashed sweet potato. Lastly, place sliced apples on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Chocolate Crème Brulée Cupcakes
Recipe by Erica – “I took a batch of these in to work one day and they were a huge hit! No one could even tell that they were dairy free!!”
Prep time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes; Servings: 25
The Crème Brulée – Ingredients:
1 tsp. of vanilla bean paste or 1-1/2 tsp. french vanilla extract
2 cups of coconut cream or blended tofu, chilled
1/2 cup of white sugar
5 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
8 tsp. of raw sugar granules (set aside for top of frosting)
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F and prepare water bath.
- Note: Prepare custard several hours before to give it time to cool completely.
- Combine vanilla bean paste, ½ of the coconut cream or blended tofu, all the white sugar, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir every now and then to prevent the coconut cream or blended tofufrom scorching or forming a skin.
- Once boiled, remove the pan from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add in the remaining coconut cream or blended tofu to cool down the mixture, stirring continuously. Whisk the egg yolks together in a separate large bowl until smooth. While whisking eggs, slowly add in the cream mixture; be sure it is cooled so you don’t scramble the yolks.
- Pour into the ramekins filling almost full. Place a roasting or cake pan onto oven rack. Place custard filled ramekins into the pan. Add boiling water into the pan until about 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins, being careful not to splash water into ramekins.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until custard wiggles a bit when moved (about 170°F temperature reading of custard).
- Move ramekins to cooling rack and cool to room temperature (about 2 hours).
- Prepare cupcakes as custard cools.
- Note: If storing in fridge overnight, place plastic wrap directly on custard surface to prevent skinning. If any skin does form during cooling, skim the top skin off, just so that the filling is as creamy as possible.
The Chocolate Cupcakes – Ingredients:
2 cups of white sugar
1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cups of cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp. of salt
1 cup of ZenSoy Soymilk
1/2 cup of melted dairy free butter
2 tsp. of french vanilla extract
1 cup of boiling water
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line 25-30 muffin cups and set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (eggs, soymilk, melted “butter”, and french vanilla) and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Note: You’re going to end up filling the muffin tins halfway full. First, fill muffin tins 1/4 full. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the prepared and cooled crème brulée on top of the cupcake mix, directly in the center. Add muffin mix on top of crème brulée until cup is half full.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Note: Pick will not come out clean if inserted directly in the center due to filling. Insert slightly offset from the center in order to check the doneness of the cupcake.
- When finished, remove from pans to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
The Buttercream Frosting – Ingredients:
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup of dairy free margarine
3-1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp. of french vanilla extract
1/4 cup of ZenSoy Soymilk
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add the french vanilla and soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes, until fluffy.
FINAL PREP (where it all comes together!)
- Generously frost each cupcake; use a piping bag with your choice of tip to add character.
- Finish each frosted cupcake with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
Chocolate Banana Brownies with Coconut Butter
Recipe and photo by Liz of It’s A Cupcake World – “These are dairy-free as well as vegan.”
1 cup coconut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approx. 2 bananas)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flower
3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup ZenSoy chocolate milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- If coconut butter is not soft at room temperature, soften slightly in the microwave. It’s ok if a small amount is melted and liquid. Put coconut butter in mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat for 30 seconds. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat. It will take on a crumbly texture. Add the mashed bananas, and beat until creamy.
- Mix together the baking powder, salt, flour, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Add all at once to the sugar and coconut butter mixture. Mix. When starting to combine, add the ZenSoy chocolate milk on a low speed, so it doesn’t splash over the bowl. Once combined, pour into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The batter is dark, so don’t be afraid that it’s burning. When a toothpick is inserted into the brownies you want them to be just slightly gooey.
- Let cool before slicing and serving, and if desired sprinkle with a small amount of shredded coconut.
Basic Coconut Cream Pie
Recipe by Jane
1 graham cracker crust pie shell
1 box cook and serve coconut crem pudding
2 cups zen soy milk
For topping: dairy-free whipped creme and toasted coconut
- Mix pudding and soymilk on stove using directions on box for pie filling.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until set.
- Top with dairy-free whipped creme and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding Cake
Recipe by Erin – “This Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe came from my mother who learned to cook according to a disease I was Diagnosed with at age 15 called Fibromyalgia–Now I get to have my chocolate cravings fulfilled each birthday with this special recipe she created!”
Prep Time: 15 mins; Total Time: 50 mins
2 tablespoons dairy free margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup soy milk
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8″ square pan. In a small bowl, soften the margarine and then stir in 1/4 Celsius cocoa. Put the vinegar in a measuring cup and add enough soy milk to measure 1 cup. Whisk the soured milk into the cocoa mixture.
- Stir the topping brown sugar (1/2 c.) and cocoa together in a small bowl. Bring water to boil.
- In a medium size bowl stir together the brown rice flour, xanthan gum, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. Add the cocoa/milk mixture to the dry ingredients; stir well to completely mix all ingredients. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Evenly spread the brown sugar/cocoa mixture over the top of the batter. Pour the boiling water evenly over the top of the cake and place in preheated oven. Bake for 35 minutes (or until the cake tests done.) Let it cool for at least half an hour and then serve by scooping cake and the sauce that forms underneath into bowls. Can serve with dairy free ice cream, whipped cream, or whipped dairy free topping.
ZenSoy Pudding Recipes
(vote for one in the comments below!)
Pudding Pound Cake
Recipe and photo by Libby of The Allergic Kid
1-3/4 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C nondairy margarine, softened
3/4 C granulated sugar
8 oz (2 x 4 oz cups) of ZenSoy vanilla pudding
1 tsp vanilla extract
margarine and flour for pan
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with margarine and flour to prevent sticking.
- Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce blender speed to slow and add pudding and extract.
- Once completely combined, gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth top of batter with a spatula.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until crust is brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Variation: Use banana pudding instead of vanilla and add a pinch of ground nutmeg.
Fat Elvis Pudding Pops
Recipe by Kiersten – “I’ve been making these for a long time (I love ZenSoy pudding!) and they’re really good.”
1-4 Pack of ZenSoy Chocolate Pudding
1 Large Ripe Banana, cut into large chunks
1/4 Cup + 1 tbs. of Natural Peanut Butter (chunky or smooth, whatever you
- Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.