The Naturally Frugal Challenge: Holiday Kickoff!
I was honored when Anne and Donna of Fab Frugal Food contacted me to team up on a new foodie event … the Naturally Frugal Challenge! Read on …
The Naturally Frugal Challenge invites you to create economical, flavorful entrees, and submit them. There will be five challenges each year – one for each season and an extra holiday challenge. We will post the challenge the first month of each season. Holiday: November; Winter: January; Spring: April; Summer: June. And Fall: September.
At the end of the month, we will gather all the submissions and post them in a roundup on both our blogs—so your recipe will get double the exposure! The resulting roundup will offer a single stop where health-conscious readers can find a collection of fabulous and frugal seasonal entrees to try.
There will be one Grand Prize Winner for each challenge, as well as two Honorable Mentions. Prizes will be awarded to each winner. The prizes will be announced at the time the challenge is posted.
Help us showcase how tantalizing and delectable healthy frugal foods can be!
Here is the Holiday Frugal Foods Challenge:
Create an entree based on whole, healthy ingredients and at least one Holiday seasonal ingredient, ie., cranberries, pumpkin, etc. Your entree must feed four adults with a maximum cost of $10.00.
The grand prize for this Holiday edition of the new Naturally Frugal challenge is . . .
A set of holiday bakeware from Cooking.com!
How Can You Participate?
Simply cook up an entree–whether yours or someone else’s with credit to them. Your recipe must be made for this event, within the month of the challenge–no old posts are accepted.
Then, post the recipe to your blog (if you don’t have a blog, see instructions below). Be sure to mention the event on your post and link to this post. Feel free to use the Naturally Frugal Challenge logo (coming soon!) in your post to help promote the event (though this is not required).
General Guidelines for all the Challenges:
- In general, please use only whole foods ingredients (minimally processed with no artificial flavors, colors, prepackaged sauces, etc.)
- The dish must be dairy-free (no milk, cheese, etc. – eggs are okay)
- Use whole grains and whole grain flours only; no refined white flours or sugar.
- Include only natural sweeteners (no white sugar, nothing that requires a laboratory to create–such as splenda, aspartame etc.). Rather, use maple syrup, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, dates, yacon syrup, stevia, etc.
- Feel free to use the event logo on your blog to help promote the event
- Be sure to include a link to the Naturally Frugal Challenge post (this one will do)
- Include recipes that have been made and posted within the month of the challenge–previously posted recipes are not accepted.
- Have fun and let your creativity shine!
You may enter as many times as you like, but please submit a separate entry for each recipe.
Send your submissions to fabfrugalfoodie[at]gmail[dot]com or to alisa[at]godairyfree[dot]com or to with the subject line, “Naturally Frugal Challenge” and the following information:
- Your name
- Your location
- Your blog URL (see below if you don’t have a blog)
- Your recipe name
- Your recipe link (the URL of the blog page on which it’s posted)
- A copy of the photo (if available)
Note: If you don’t have a blog, you can still participate! Simply email your recipe, or recipe and a photo. We’ll post it for you.
The deadline for submission is the 30th of each month in which the challenge takes place (you may start submitting recipes anytime). So this Holiday challenge will close on November 30th. We will post the roundup within 2 weeks.
We look forward to sharing yummy, healthy holiday recipes with you!