BSI Sunflower Seeds – Don’t Miss Recipes and a Winner!
Last week I received numerous wonderful sunflower seed recipes, including some from people who don’t have blogs! So this post not only includes the round-up of recipe links and photos, but it also features three never-before online recipes! As you can see, many of us were thinking cookies (not a bad thing), but there many fun ideas. Read on for the recipes, winner, and the announcement of next week’s BSI host(ess)!
Curious about the Blogger Secret Ingredient Event? See this post on Biggest Diabetic Loser
First off, my two contributions to the event were:
Now, from all of you wonderful bloggers and viewers I received …
Since Katie at MF&S didn’t have the recipe posted, she sent it in for me to share with you here. Thanks Katie!
Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies
- 1 cups plus 2 T flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tablespoons sunflower seed butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flax seed, mixed with 1 1/2 T warm water
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix flaxseed with 1 1/2 T warm water and let sit for 15 min, until thickened.
2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix Sunflower seed butter with sugar, vanilla and “flax egg”. Mix until just combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, half at a time, and stir until just combined.
5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Press down with fork, making cross hatches. Bake for 10-12 min (less if you want soft cookies).
6. Cool on wire rack.
And here are a couple of fantastic non-blogged entries (and recipes) …
Sunflower Seed Fudge from Viewer Geri
- 1 1/2 cup Organic ground sunflower Seeds
- 1 Cup Organic Sunflower seed Butter
- 1 Cup Organic Coconut, dry shredded fine
- 1/4 Cup Agave syrup
- pinch Sea salt
Mix, should be like cookie doug. If to wet to form in a ball, add more ground seeds or coconut! If to dry, add a little more agave! play with it!
Mix, Pat into a pan about 1 inch deep, Chill Cut and eat!
May add dark Chocolate powder or Carob to taste.
Tropical Snack Mix from Viewer Amy
- 1 lb dried pineapple
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup almonds (whole or slivered)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed
- 3/4 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar (or less if you like)
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pop the popcorn on the stove or skillet. DO NOT air pop.
- Pour into a large bowl that you can seal and let the popcorn cool.
- Add pineapple, raisins, almonds, and sunflower seeds to popcorn. Stir thoroughly.
- While popcorn is cooling, melt butter and mix in brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Boil for 1 minute only.
- Remove from heat and add flax seed and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour over the popcorn mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix from the bottom up, like folding in ingredients. The seeds tend to fall to the bottom.
- Let dry and enjoy. Makes a big bowl.
Wow, a serious thank you goes out to all of these fabulous entries. I plan to try every single one! Nonetheless, I had to select a winner.
Congratulations to …
Geri for the Sunflower Seed Fudge Recipe (above)
You have won the entire Sweet Vegan E-Book Collection! It will be emailed to you directly. That recipe is just too cool, and going to the top of my list to trial.
But, because all of the entries were so fabulous, I have negotiated honorable mention prizes for each of the remaining entrants! If you submitted a recipe, simply select any one of the Sweet Vegan eBooks and it will be sent to you!
Now, for those of you who are anxiously awaiting the announcement for Week #77 of Blogger Secret Ingredient, the hostess will be …
Kim at Affairs of Living
Head over and check out this week’s surprise ingredient!