Peanut Butter & Chocolate Thumbprint Macaroons

Posted by on June 7, 2011 | 31 Comments

Just in case you missed this recipe over on Go Dairy Free, I thought I would add it here. I think this one is just one more shred of evidence that peanut butter and chocolate go with almost everything.

Choc-oco-nut Thumbprint Macaroons

Recipe adapted from Vegan Desserts: Sumptuous Sweets for Every Season (spring section) by Hannah Kaminsky. Reprinted with permissions.

If you need a nut-free option, and seeds are okay, feel free to sub SunButter for the peanut butter. That stuff is pretty darn awesome. This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, and optionally Nut-Free.

• 2/3 Cup Peanut Butter (I used smooth, unsalted) + extra for the tops of the cookies
  • 1/3 Cup Plain, Unsweetened, or Vanilla Milk Alternative (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
  • 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 2/3 Cup Potato Starch
  • 5 Cups Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips for topping, maybe a 1/2 Cup (I used Dream brand – the blue bag)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a couple of baking sheets with silicon mats (my choice) or parchment paper.

In a large bowl, blend the peanut butter, milk alternative, maple, sugar, vanlla, and salt until nice and smooth. Mix in the potato starch until smooth. Stir in the coconut by hand. It will get pretty darn thick.

Now, I used about a tablespoon and a half of dough per cookie by pressing the dough into a tablespoon measuring spoon in a billowing, rounded style …

As an alternative, you can roll the dough into ping-pong sized balls. Place the cookie dough scoops or balls on the prepared baking sheets, and using either the back of the measuring spoon (may want to lightly spray it with oil) or your thumb, press a well in the center of each cookie.

Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes (I bake one sheet at a time and rotate them, or simply bake one batch and freeze the rest). Remove from the oven and place about 6 chocolate chips in each well. If the wells have filled in, just give them another gentle push down.

Bake for another 2 to 6 minutes. Mine needed more time, but Hannah’s sounded as if they finished more quickly. Remove from the oven and swirl in a wee dollop of peanut butter with the chocolate chips (they should now be melted and swirlable (new word, per me)).

Let those cookies cool for at least 5 or 10 minutes before attacking.

Makes about 40 cookies

Blog Events:

What’s your favorite PB & chocolate recipe or creation?

1. Peanut butter and chocolate really were made for each other! This looks delicious!

2. Those thumbprint macaroons look so good with the pb & chocolate combination! yum!

3. Evan Thomas says:

Delicious recipe! Peanut butter and chocolate always go good together.
    Is there any substitute for the potato starch? It’s the one ingredient I don’t have on hand.

Hi Evan, any starch, including cornstarch, should work okay in this. Arrowroot or tapioca also. They all have differences, but in general should create a good end result.

4. These look amazing, Alisa! We can’t wait to make these and wash them down with a tall glass of So Delicious Coconut Milk! Thanks so much for posting the recipe! We’ll be sharing it with all of our Twitter and Facebook fans!

5. Hmmm? I’m starting to think you’re a go-gluten-free-gal. Oddly enough, I’ve never made macaroons, but you may have sent me in the right direction with this recipe. I’m a huge coconut fan and I’m with you on the chocolate and peanut butter. I love that combo, so this looks to be a winner!
    Melissa

Oooh, so cute! I’ve never liked the standard shortbread-y jam thumbprint cookies. Peanut butter, chocolate, and coconut though? Oh yes :D

7. Alta says:

I’m not sure I can wait 5-10 minutes to attack these! They look dangerously good.

8. Maggie says:

I am with Alta on this one! Yummo Alisa, well done! My fave chocolate and pb combo comes in smoothie form right now. But I think it’s time to switch it up with some coooooookies please!

9. Linda says:

These look so good, Alisa! I’m sure I will love them.

10. omg these look great, what an awesome idea

11. OMG, Alisa, those look good! I want to reach right through the screen. :-)

12. Alisa Baker says:

I just came across you through a different link. This looks great. The other is that your first name is spelled just like mine. It is very rare indeed.

13. Lindsay says:

What’s the calories in one of these?

Hi Lindsay – I’m sorry, but I don’t know. It takes a while to calculate nutritional information for all recipes, and I don’t track calories myself. But there are some great calorie counting websites out there that you can calculate it with.

14. Kymbers says:

YUMMMMM!! I can almost taste them!! HUGE fan of coconut, pb & chocolate…So, this is a no brainer for me. My only questions is: Is this white sugar?
    Can’t wait to make these…Oh So Delicious Macaroons!

Yes, it is white sugar, but you can sub coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice. I just recommend grinding them in a spice grinder until they become a powder as I think the granular texture would be noticable in these cookies.

15. Kiersten says:

Chocolate and peanut butter DO go with everything!

The chocolate/PB combo is absolutely the pinnacle of baked goods! This looks wonderful!

Still very impressed by your creative method for getting a bigger dollop of chocolate into every cookie- Sure beats a quick dip!

18. Yum yum yum yum yum yum.

19. That pool of chocolate in that last picture is killing me!

20. […] Peanut Butter & Chocolate Thumbprint Macaroons – Yes, please! […]

21. Okay, first off…these look delish! What a brilliant and totally Gluten Free recipe this is! I am proud of you and all of these great gf recipes you are churning out!! ;) LOL Way to take care of your gf friends!
    xo
    k

22. This looks delicious! Definitely my type of cookie. Luv macaroons – Can’t wait to make them and eat ‘em! : )

BTW: Will check out the nutritional info. through my FoodProcessor. But these sure look like a healthier option to traditional macaroons.

23. Wow. you should mail me some of these. I have no time to bake anymore ;-)

24. […] Peanut Butter & Chocolate Thumbprint Macaroons from Alisa Cooks […]

25. andrea devon says:

I love the combo of pb, coconut and chocolate. I can’t wait to make these very soon! aloha, andrea

26. Sharon Rechner says:

I love this recipe.
    My husband and I who are Canadians, are wintering in Mexico. I wanted to bake some cookies which did not require wheat flour, so decided to make these scrumptious goodies. I am to able to purchase in Mexico many ingredients which recipes call for so have to Mae some substitutions. I had to substitute corn starch for potato starch, pancake syrup for maple syrup and chopped chocolate bar for chocolate chips. I decided to stir in some Nutella as the last step rather than more peanut butter, and they turned out fabulously. Our neighbours, with whom I shared the cookies, loved them and asked for the recipe. I have made them a second time with the same substitutions but had to make one more change. I was short one cup of coconut so added one cup of 3Minute Quaker Oats. Another huge success. Thanks so much for this recipe.