Fluffy Cinnamon-Almond Dream Pancakes

Posted by on February 22, 2011 | 39 Comments

What does one do when they have several packages of this lovely stuff to trial out?

Why make almond pancakes of course! I know, you were thinking cookies, or a milkshake, or a creamy soup, or something to that effect right? Sorry, my mind works on tangents.

Tony was knocked out with the flu, and void of an appetite, so I used the “cooking for one” opportunity to use up some pantry and fridge items that aren’t on his menu … eggs and almonds. Yes, the man is allergic to egg whites, almonds, and kale. I know what you’re thinking, “poor thing” … I believe there was a little happy dance involved on that third allergen.

But back to those scrum-didli-umptious pancakes. The texture was simply amazing … they are hearty and rich, yet tall and fluffy. I’m still working on an egg-free version though (it will happen!), as the whipped egg whites really are the secret to the fluffy results in these breakfast cakes …

Fluffy Cinnamon-Almond Dream Pancakes

This recipe is Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, optionally Gluten-Free (use certified gluten-free oats), and optionally Sugar-Free or Refined Sugar-Free.

• 1/2 Cup Oats
  • 2 Ounces Almond Flour (1/2 cup lightly packed)
  • 1/2 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk (I used Almond Dream, the lightly sweetened one – so awesome!)
  • 2 Eggs, separated
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 to 2 Teaspoons Coconut / Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar (optional)

Place the oats in your spice grinder, and grind until they turn into a flour, about 20 seconds. Place the fresh oat flour in a mixing bowl with the almond flour, Almond Dream, egg yolks, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and sugar, if using. Stir or mix to combine.

In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until frothy or until peaks just begin to form (I use a hand mixer), about 30 seconds to a minute. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into your pancake batter, until just combined.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low to medium heat (nuts tend to burn a bit easier than grains, so I cook over medium heat, but err on the lower side). Add a wee bit of oil (I use coconut oil) or cooking spray to the pan. Once hot, pour batter onto the skillet to make dollar-size pancakes (about 2 Tablespoons of batter). Cook for a couple of minutes, or until bubbles just begin to burst on the surface of the pancakes. Keep a close eye, as mentioned, these can burn a little more easily. Flip, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the other side, or until golden.

Serve with maple syrup, or even some nutty maple syrup (as pictured below).

Makes 2 servings

Blog Events:

1. Sorry Tony was sick! I hope he is better now! I LOVE almond meal pancakes and these look perfect!

2. ooooh these look so light and fluffy!!!!

I’m hungry. Will you come over and make me these? (Also – I’m lazy. :) )

4. Sophie says:

Waw!! Your thicker pancakes look delightful & ooh so fabulous too! :)

5. Aghh! I was just saying how I need pancakes in my life.

However, it’s tough to find almond flour? Can I sub it, or does that defeat the purpose of being cinnamon-almond pancakes? I am not GF or anything. Just like a healthier flour?

Just grind up almonds! That’s what I usually do, and I like the results just the same as store-bought almond flour. It helps to freeze the almonds first to keep it powdery when you grind them (from turning into nut butter!). I just use my spice grinder, but a powerful blender or food processor will also work.

6. Such fluffy light and delicious pancakes! Excellent with cinnamon flavor!

7. Those look perfectly fluffy and delicious!! :D

8. Michelle says:

Yummmm! I don’t have almond flour or almonds to ground into a flour. Can I use reg flour? And another idea! I have the maple/brown sugar oatmeal in the packets. So, can I use a packet of that? :)

I think you could definitely use the oatmeal packets Michelle! That would make the pancakes sweeter, and you may want to use a touch extra of that or of flour (since some of the packets is sweetener).

If using another flour in place of the Almond Flour, I would add a little fat … say 1/2 to 1 T of oil, to keep the cakes from tasting gummy. I’m not a fat free product fan :) Also, this would change the texture … you may need a little more liquid than what this calls for. Hmm, maybe just using 1/4 cup of flour in place of the almond flour would work best. It would take a little experimenting.

9. Michelle says:

for the oatmeal part, I meant.

One sends it to one’s beloved friend in Australia who can’t access the stuff, surely! :P

11. Maggie says:

These look so tempting. I miss the way eggs make a pancake! So easy! I’ve got fluffy pancake envy.

12. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming, Glugle Gluten-Free. Glugle Gluten-Free said: RT @GoDairyFree: Fluffy Cinnamon-Almond Dream Pancakes http://bit.ly/hChC30 […]

13. What a healthy, protein and fiber packed pancake recipe. I will totally be making these. I hope that poor Tony is on the mend!
    And I agree that beaten egg whites are the total secret to fluffy pancakes, BUT….I am still laughing at Maggie’s fluffy pancake envy!
    xo
    k

That last picture is a killer. They look amazing!

15. Christine says:

These pancakes look so perfect and fluffy! Too bad I already ate breakfast. :P

16. OMG. those are some breathtakingly beautiful pancakes!! Seriously. So sorry that Tony is ill. Hope he feels better ASAP. I’d take advantage of that situation, too, though … just like I always eat all my favorites (and the things Mr. GFE hates) when he’s gone on his scuba trips. ;-)

xo,

17. Wow, those are deliciously fluffy! I might have to whip some up and since the other’s at GFWed’s have tempted me with all the chocolate recipes, maybe I’ll toss in some chocolate chips. Mmmm!

18. How divine do they look! Would it be wrong to have these for dinner?…hmm, probably.
    Allergic to kale?…that’s an odd one. Poor thing.

19. Fluffy and covered in sweet juicy wonderfulness. YUM. These look seriously great. I love how simple the ingredients are.

Tony’s allergic to kale? How did he find that out? And sad!

20. I am making these tomorrow for breakfast! Thank you for sharing this on Real Food Weekly.

21. lindsay says:

i love how the almond meal/egg combo makes them so fluffy. Sheesh I am hungry!

Kale, eh? Now that is an odd allergy. I’m sorry Tony’s sick but at least it gave you a chance to experiment in the kitchen! These pancakes are definitely a fluffy dream!

23. Linda says:

Alisa, I’m so glad you joined the carnival. These pancakes look great. It’s been a long time since I’ve put oats in pancakes, but now that I see these I’m anxious to try it again.

24. Dinner. That’s what I’m having for dinner tonight. How delish! I haven’t tried pancakes yet with almond flour – what a great idea!

25. I would be devastated if I was allergic to kale and almonds, much more than I was when finding out I was allergic to egg whites.

Elana’s power bar is truly fantastic. I made it raw because I only had raw almond butter and made the raw chocolate (this reminds me, I still need to order cacao butter) and the bars were amazing.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Always such a treat to see you :)

I hear you, but don’t worry about him Valerie, he’s definitely not lamenting a lack of kale and almonds in his life! :)

Ooh, I think those power bars would also be good with some cacao nibs in them! Yes, cacao butter is awesome, I recommend getting some. Not cheap, but a nice splurge.

26. Alta says:

Love that these look so fluffy! Yum.