Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Posted by on January 13, 2011 | 29 Comments

I had a recipe idea for some sandwich cookies. The concept was basic, tried and true really, with just a little twist. Seriously, what could go wrong?

As expected, the cookies looked perfect, the filling tasted as I had hoped … but when put together … meh. The recipe parts did in fact work, but to my great surprise, that old school flavor combination just didn’t float our sweets-craving boats. So what’s a girl to do? Why take the safe way out of course … chocolate chips! I still haven’t found a purpose for that filling, but the cookies combined with chocolate chips became a simple sensation.

I’m sure many of you are familiar with those basic 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies: 1 egg, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar. Mine were based on these, but I wanted to make them egg-free (for Tony) and lower in sugar … and though the three ingredient route is insanely simple, the cookies are just okay when made that way. A little ingredient finagling takes them up a notch or three … if I do say so myself.

Easy Peasy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, and Soy-Free. Though I haven’t tried it, you can certainly make these peanut- and nut-free with sunflower seed butter in place of the peanut butter.

• 1/2 Tablespoon Flaxseeds
  • 1 Tablespoon Water
  • 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (I use creamy, unsalted, all natural – nothing added)
  • 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar, sifted (I used Trader Joe’s Organic)
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey (can sub agave nectar for vegan)
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/3 Cup Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350ºF.

Grind the flaxseeds in your spice grinder, and place them in a mixing bowl. Stir in the water and let that sit while you measure out the other ingredients. Add the peanut butter, powdered sugar, honey (or agave), vanilla, and baking soda. Stir until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips to evenly distribute. If the mixture is too moist to handle, feel free to place it in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes or so. If it is too firm (the peanut butter I use is a very soft one) then add a little bit of water, just a teaspoon at a time until it has a cookie dough-like consistency.

Place the cookies by the tablespoonful on your baking sheet (I line mine with a silicone baking mat), and flatten them a bit (they don’t spread much). Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. The cookies will need to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before you handle them … they do firm up as they cool.

Makes 8 to 10 cookies

Blog Events:

1. Evan Thomas says:

I’ve always wondered if these sort of flourless peanut butter cookies would work with an egg replacer or not. Thank you for answering that question! These look delicious.

2. These are awesome! I have seen a billion recipes for flourless PB Cookies but they always have egg or egg replacers.

I came up with my own GF vegan pb choc chip cookie. It uses peanut flour.

Your cookies look…amazing!

I’ve blogged about these before – using the flax egg works perfectly. But, Alisa, I bow down to your geniosity with using powdered sugar. YES. YES. And, um?

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming. Alisa Fleming said: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies http://bit.ly/gjpde3 […]

5. Lori says:

Woah… we are cookie sisters!!!! That’s… really weird. And has been happening more and more to me! A sign? YES. :)

LOVE these!! Oh my- they look fluffy and delicious and yummy and neededinmytummy!

6. May I say that these look perfect??!!!

7. They look perfect, but (DARN) I’m trying to skip the sweets for the month. I need to get myself back on track after the holidays. Having said that, I’m saving this recipe because it just seems too good to pass up. Powdered sugar? Really? Wow, very interesting. It makes sense. Gluten-free and vegan is pretty impressive for a cookie that looks this good! I’ll try them in February! Looking forward to it. =)
    Melissa

When in doubt, add chocolate. My motto in life ;) (Except mine is more “when in doubt about life, add chocolate to my belly”…)

9. Oh my goodness, I could just lick the computer screen right now Alisa! I will be making these babies the second sugar and chocolate are allowed back in our diet!! :-D

10. These look so darn good, Alisa! I make a similar recipe and I often use sunflower seed buttter and they turn out perfect! I always go overboard on the chocolate adding though! hehe

This recipe is making me seriously miss my peanut butter! Fabulous. They look like the perfect texture, and I bet they taste great. It’s probably a good thing the recipe only makes 8 cookies–too dangerous to have more around! ;)

12. Well, they looked as good as I expected and I know the taste has to be phenomenal. Yep, chocolate can turn a bleh cookie into fabulous pretty quickly. BTW, I didn’t even know there was such a thing as organic powdered sugar, but it makes sense. Oh, how I dream of a Trader Joe’s. We keep hearing that we have more than enough people in our area, but we’re the wrong demographic TJ … aargh. I don’t know who they are talking about; I am so right for TJ.

13. i could SO make these. they almost look too pretty to eat! almost.

14. Wow these look so good. Thank you for sharing them on Real Food Weekly. Don’t forget to add a link to this post to the roundup.

15. Shannon says:

Mmmm, now i’m craving pb cookies… hardcore :)

It really is true, chocolate fixes anything. ;) Nice save!

Averie – I keep forgetting to pick up that peanut flour at TJ’s to try!

Shirley – I believe Wholesome Organic sweeteners has an organic powdered sugar too, and they are more broadly distributed. It is made with “organic evaporated cane juice.”

18. Simply Life says:

Oh my, those cookies look PERFECT!!!

19. I think I left my comment on facebook instead of here. But, I wanted to say these cookies look great. My dad is a huge fan of peanut butter cookies, and he is visiting soon. I get to try these recipes on him. I can’t wait.

xoxo,
    Tia

20. Christine says:

These look amazing! I love that they are free of so many allergens. I’m definitely bookmarking this as my husband LOVES peanut butter.

21. You said easy peasy and chocolate peanut butter…I am sold! YUM!

22. Marjorie says:

Alisa,
    I saw this recipe and just had to try them out. They come out as pretty as your picture shows it does, and they taste divine. I will be making these again. Thank you so much for the recipe. :)

23. Alta says:

I always wondered if you could lower the sugar in that grain free pb cookie and still have it come out. Great job!

24. […] Alexa of Lexie's Test Kitchen -Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars from Kelly of The Spunky Coconut -Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Alisa of Alisa Cooks Posted on July 29, 2011 in the desserts category […]

25. Julie says:

Thank you for sharing your recipes! I love your blog and make several of your recipes, including this one, regularly.

26. Susan Bivens says:

I just got done with a 21 day sugar detox and it’s been over a week and these are the first things that actually look good to me sweets wise! May have to make tonight!!!

27. Susan Bivens says:

Revise my last comment, just made them and they are yummy. Had to use a little almond butter bc I didn’t have enough pb…I’d describe the batter like recees pieces crack…cookies are perfect pb and I used dk chic chips which cut the sweetness nicely.

Haha, glad you liked the recipe Susan! I’ve got some dark chocolate chips here that just might need to go into a batch of these – they’re due for our re-make in our kitchen!