Buttery Baby Potatoes

Posted by on December 15, 2010 | 15 Comments

When a group of family farmers asks if they can send me their fabulous potatoes, it really isn’t an offer I can turn down. But what surprised me most, was that these little gems from Tasteful Selections are actually sold at my local grocer.

They sent a bag each of the Sunrise Medley and Purple Passion rounds. These are little, two-inch potatoes, two to four bites per tater. The smaller size made cooking a breeze. Two nights, I made the recipe below, which requires absolutely not chopping. Just boil, then sizzle, then serve. The other night I made roasted purple potatoes (your basic toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes recipe), which only required a simple quartering of the potatoes and the work was pretty well done.

The purple potatoes are very cool, and could easily be used to color a recipe … just be careful as that blue does appear to bleed just a bit. Though this variety looked different from Hannah’s, you could easily make some of her purple potato creations (healthier frosting anyone?) with these gems.

I was boring though. I played it safe, making the Smashed Potatoes with Chives from the Tasteful Selections recipes, fully expecting to create a new recipe once I had done this trial run. But Tony and I loved these so much, that I made this recipe again! Though this recipe could be made with any baby potatoes, I do have to admit that these potatoes do have a wonderfully thin skin and a creamy texture that beautifully soaks up any flavors you throw their way.

I try not to do this too often, particularly on my own blog, but the photo above (which is for the recipe below) isn’t mine. It is from Tasteful Selections themselves. I felt a good photo was essential to show you just how the potatoes are smashed and how they brown, but my “it’s nighttime (poor lighting) and we’re hungry” photographs left me without a single half decent image to show you. I can promise you though, that my smashed potatoes looked just like this photo … only not quite as pretty. Some of the potatoes may actually break in half when you smash them, but have no fear, they still taste awesome.

Buttery Smashed Potatoes

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Wheat-Free, Sugar-Free, and optionally Soy-Free. See the Tasteful Selections Recipes for more great potato ideas.

• 1 lb Baby Potatoes (I used Tasteful Selections Sunrise Medley)
  • 2 Tablespoons Dairy-Free Margarine (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread – Soy-Free)
  • 1 to 2 Thinly sliced Green Onions or 1/4 Cup Sliced Chives
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper) + salt for cooking water

Place the whole potatoes in a pot, cover them with water and salt (I used about 1 teaspoon) and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.

Add the margarine to a skillet and melt it over medium-high heat. When it is melted and just beginning to bubble, add the drained potatoes and stir to coat. With fork, slightly smash each potato just to break the skin and cook each side until golden brown, stirring regularly.

Remove from the heat, stir in the green onions or chives, and season with salt and pepper.

Makes 2 to 3 simply scrumptious sides

1. I love potatoes this way. My son grew several varieties this summer and he had a bumper crop so we are eating lots of potatoes. This time of year is tough for food photography. I’ve saved a portion and taken the shot the next day when there was light. We have also been doing big lunches since the kids are on break right now and we are all home to eat a nice lunch and get some food photography while the sun is out.

2. Shannon says:

ooh, these have me drooling and ready for lunch! if only i had some of these 🙂

Potatoes and chives are a combination that would DEFINITELY keep me coming back for more! I make a killer roasted garlic potato salad with them (mayo free!). It moves mountains.

4. Oh I LOVE smashed potatoes like that! It’s crazy how much flavor they have! I don’t think I’ve ever tried purple potatoes!

5. Lori says:

Always. Always your recipes look delicious. I am not a regular white potato fan. (it might be a mind over healthy sweet potatoes thing) I love sweet potatoes and yams… but, as always, these look great. Especially with the chives.

I think, in Australia, we call these Chat Potatoes. I’ve never had purple ones, though! Funnily enough, I’ve also used them in a smashed taters dish, but in my version we really crush the little blighters then bake ’em. I’ll have to try your recipe soon!

Wendy – I’m so envious of all that your family is able to grow where you live! I’ll have to see that beautiful green belt one day!

Joanne – You must share this secret recipe!

Lori – I love sweet potatoes too (even better), but yeah, I love potatoes too! I like to think they’re healthy.

Hannah – Very interesting idea to smash and bake. Will try!

8. Yummy potatoes in this preparation!

9. I love doing this with red potatoes! Roasted garlic in with the butter is so good!

I have never done the purple potatoes for the boys. I am not sure if they would like them or be freaked out by them. I love them, but Jay is pretty hard core about having yukon gold. The boys is a potato snob!

10. oh man! i’ve been having those little potatoes alot lately. i love the purple ones..not because they taste any different, but because i love purple 🙂

11. Maggie says:

Yum, we love smashed potatoes. My husband makes them for us. He adds a little lemon juice and it is soooo nice! I’d love to try the purple ones! Really, one can’t have too many potatoes 🙂

12. I am a sucker for potatoes, sweet, white, you name it…if it’s starchy, I am in 😉

Hey girl, here’s the potato salad recipe: http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2009/06/slaws-and-potato-salads.html

Excuse the god-awful pictures. that was before I knew how to use a camera.

14. Alisa, I love love smashed potatoes this way. My Mom has always made potatoes like this. I also like Maggie’s idea about adding a touch of lemon! Yum!!
    And I also love those purple potatoes. My kids get a kick out of them every time!!
    xo
    k

15. Beth says:

Alisa — These look so great!! I love, love, love potatoes (I think they are my favorite thing) and am always looking for new preparations! Yum!