Homemade Maple Oat Bread

Posted by on August 27, 2010 | 16 Comments

I owe you all some winners from the last two giveaways, but today is recipe day, so that will have to wait.

Nothing fancy, just a good loaf of bread that I adapted from Kevin’s recipe over at Closet Cooking. He tops the loaf with maple sugar. I did sprinkle on a little coconut sugar one time that I made it, and it was tasty. It enhances the maple flavor and gives that nice sheen to the bread that you see in the picture below. Still, I did opt to omit the sugar topping in my second loaf so that it could be used either for breakfast toast or sandwich bread. It was still quite delicious, but the maple flavor was slightly more subtle.

maple oat bread

If you haven’t made bread from scratch, it’s time to get started …

Maple Oat Bread

This recipe is Vegan / Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free.

• 1 Cup Warm Water
  • 2-1/4 Teaspoons (or one packet) Active Yeast
  • 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/4 Cup Oil (I have used coconut oil and extra-light olive oil)
  • 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
  • 1-1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1-1/2 Cups Bread Flour or All-Purpose Flour
  • 1-1/4 Teaspoons Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons Maple Sugar or Coconut / Palm Sugar (optional)

Combine the warm water, yeast, and oats in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the flours, salt, and cinnamon. Stir the oil and maple syrup into the yeast mixture. Gradually add the flour (I do about 1/3 at a time), stirring after each addition. Once the dough starts to come together, continue adding the flour and knead it with your hands. If the dough is still too wet, add a little more white flour; if it is too dry, feel free to add a wee bit more warm water. This ratio actually came out just right for me, but I live in a dry climate.

Place the dough back in the large bowl, and cover, letting the dough rise for about an hour.

Note: I had a reader comment that I should add to the directions to grease the bowl before adding the dough to rise. You may want to do this. I actually let the dough rise in the bowl I make it in, which is a round glass pyrex bowl with a glass lid. I don’t bother greasing since there is residual flour from the dough, and have never had a problem with this.

Grease and flour (I usually flour just the bottom and corners) a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Punch the dough down, knead it a few times, and shape it into a loaf that will fit lengthwise in your loaf pan. Place the dough in the pan, and leave it to rise for about 1 hour.

Preheat your oven to 350ºF. If desired, brush the loaf lightly with water and sprinkle on the sugar. Bake the loaf for 20 minutes. If it is starting to brown quickly on top, tent it with foil. Bake it for 15 to 20 minutes more. Let the pan cool for 15 minutes (I usually place it on a wire rack to get the air circulating around it) before removing the loaf to cool completely.

Note: I have trialed a higher ratio of whole wheat flour, but this ratio was better. If you want to go 100% whole wheat, I recommend adding a little wheat gluten to the mix.

Makes 1 loaf

maple oat bread

1. I have never tried making bread before…this looks mouth watering. One of these days I will bake a loaf! I love how you did this egg-free, soy-free and dairy-free!! You are awesome!

Can’t wait to see the finished product btw, I know you have been working so hard on it 🙂

2. Looks so good! I love baking homemade bread! The house always smells amazing too.

3. Kiersten says:

That sounds delicious! I love maple-flavored baked goods. Can’t wait to try this out.

4. Yum! This looks delicious! I’m having my Family Food Fridays recipe swap today, this would be a great addition! Hope to see you there. 🙂

5. Beautiful and delicious bread, sounds excellent with maple flavor!

6. Sounds delicious. I love anything with maple flavours, and home made bread you can’t beat it.

7. Oh my goodness that sounds perfect!! Homemade bread..MAPLE homemade bread?! Yes please 🙂

I used to make bread all the time….sigh. Since going gluten free I haven’t felt up to the task of tackling it. I am still working on mastering the gluten free cookies. Cookies are more important in my book!

9. Jamie says:

I haven’t made any bread outside of a bread machine except zucchini bread (which is more like cake), so I’m excited to try this. Just bookmarked it. Thanks!

I would love to make a sandwich out of this bread! Love that PB on top… Maple is one of my ultimate favorite sweeteners!

11. Shannon says:

i was just saying i should really make my own bread for some grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches… except i don’t think i have it in me today :/ Maybe tomorrow 🙂

12. Danielle says:

I wonder how this recipe would be with bananas?

This photo is beautiful – this looks like a really great bread for some high-quality jam or jelly.

13. YUM, that bread sounds so good! So fall-like 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

14. Tiffany says:

Looks lovely and sounds really delicious. I haven’t baked bread in awhile, so maybe I’ll be trying this recipe soon…I do love me a good loaf of freshly-baked, homemade bread. 🙂

15. Alta says:

Looks SO tasty! I need to make myself a gluten-free version for sure!

16. sweetie says:

many thanks to you and kevin for sharing this recipe.

i used roughly the same portions of flour you did plus the optional water/sugar glaze on top.

since i’m a very new baker, can i suggest editing the directions to read that the large bowl (used in the rising) should be lightly greased? it maybe a helpful note for other bakers.

thanks again.