Spiced Apricot-Cashew Smoothie

Posted by on July 9, 2010 | 20 Comments

Two days before we had scheduled for a week-long vacation, my CSA delivered with the motherload. Figures. Not that I am complaining, but finding ways to use up bags of fragile greens in two days is no easy feat. And then there were the apricots. 5 lbs of Blenheims and Pattersons quickly nearing their peak of perfection. And then, when we returned, they gave us 5 lbs more!

With dozens (and dozens) of these little gems on hand, I thought they must make their way into my breakfast (and snack, and dessert (see my last post for apricot crumble bars), and …), so of course, a smoothie it was.

dairy-free apricot-cashew smoothie

Since I was having it for breakfast, I didn’t opt for a super-sweet treat, but feel free to up the sweetener or play around with one of the sub options listed. Also, I see no reason why you couldn’t sub in another stone fruit if you don’t have ripe apricots available. Try peaches, cherries, or even nectarines!

dairy-free apricot-cashew smoothie

Spiced Apricot-Cashew Smoothie

This recipe is Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, and optionally Sugar-Free.

• 3 Ripe Apricots
  • 1 Small to Medium Frozen, Ripe Banana (see sub options below)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Milk Alternative (I used Silk Almond Original)
  • 1/2 Ounce Cashews, Ground in Spice Grinder
  • 1 Teaspoon Ground Flaxseed (optional)
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
  • Pinch Salt
  • Sweetener to Taste (see below)
  • Ice (optional)

Place the apricots through salt in your blender, give it a few pulses to break things up, and whiz away until smooth (start with just 1/2 cup of the milk alternative and add more if desired once the mixture is smooth). Taste test and blend in sweetener to taste. If a frostier treat is in order, blend in ice to desired consistency.

Sweetener – This really is a matter of taste and depends on how ripe / sweet your fruit is and if your milk alternative is sweet at all. I added 1 teaspoon of honey, because I love honey with stone fruit. You could add your sweetener of choice (perhaps 1 to 3 teaspoons) or for an all-fruit vibe, add a soft pitted date.

Tired of Bananas? – Try subbing the banana with your favorite dairy-free yogurt or two soft pitted dates. Or for a more indulgent shake, stick with just the apricots, double the cashews, add in ice, and extra sweetener to taste.

Go Green – Toss in one or two fistfuls of baby spinach. It changes the color, but not the taste.

Yields 1 summer smoothie

dairy-free apricot-cashew smoothie

If you like this one, you might also like these recipes:

Bloggie Events:

I submitted this recipe / post to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays on Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming. Alisa Fleming said: Spiced Apricot-Cashew Smoothie http://bit.ly/bDSFVe […]

2. Fiona says:

So thick! That looks like a post gym session smoothie

Don’t you just love the way that serendipity works?

The smoothie looks so thick creamy and delicious.

4. Lazaro says:

Awesome! Great flavor and nutritious. Bravo.

Cheers!

5. That does sound good. I’ll soak some cashews overnight for my smoothie tomorrow. I also freeze all my soft fruit for smoothies too.

YUM!! I love apricots, and I’d probably jut eat them all as is.

7. Donna says:

These look amazing! Who doesn’t love apricots?

8. Lori says:

I really hope you know how absolutely delicious that smoothies sounds! I love apricots but have never really thought about making a smoothies out of the, let alone spiced with cinnamon!!!! Mmmmm! That’s for the idea and recipe!

9. ali says:

that sounds so good! i never thought of adding spices to smoothies… can’t wait to try it! i bet nutmeg would be great too.

10. Molly says:

I’m so glad to see a smoothie recipe that is still healthy! So many of them are loaded with fat or unnecessary ingredients. Way to go!

11. Ellen (I Am Gluten Free) says:

I never thought to put cashews directly in my smoothies, but what a good idea and great way to add extra protein. I’m loving experimenting with smoothies. Right now, I’m drinking one made with 1 apple, 3 kale leaves, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4″ piece of fresh ginger, squirt of agave, 6 oz water, and 4 ice cubes. Nice job, can’t wait to try your combo. And oh, if I got my hand on some nice blenheims, I’d definitely dehydrate them and make my own dried apricots!

12. Great smoothie idea – I love your use of cashews. I love cashews, but never would have thought to make them the star of a smoothie. Great flavor combos!

Great idea for using those apricots! I have a few from our organic box that are about to expire. . . tomorrow’s breakfast is now planned! 🙂

Ali – nutmeg is a great idea! I think it also pairs wonderfully with stone fruits.

Ellen – you are brave with all of those strong flavored greens, but I bet the apple contrasts nicely!

15. Simply Life says:

Yum! What a great flavor for a smoothie!

16. Shannon says:

ooh, love the addition of cashews! and totally jealous of your csa… and apricots 🙂

17. omg i have apricots and bananas coming outta my ears about now, need to make this 🙂

18. Wow, what a great idea. I ll definitely try it.

19. YUMO! This looks absolutely incredible. I cannot wait to try this on the weekend =) Thanks for the recipe/tips.

20. Soma says:

Sounds delightful with some unique flavors.