Economical Whole-Grain Spelt Tortillas

Posted by on June 24, 2010 | 13 Comments

Usually, I only post recipes that are “my own” in the sense that I made them up in my little head (not to say someone else out there couldn’t have made up a similar one in their own head – really, how many original recipe ideas are truly left?!) or I have significantly altered a recipe. Seriously, I have a hard time leaving those ingredients and directions alone. But once in a while I find a simple gem … one that I just know I shouldn’t mess with … at least not right away.

I actually made this tortilla recipe for the first time last year, and have made it twice since. The first time I did the sandwich roll-ups you see below with some homemade slaw, the second time we used them for fajitas, and the third time I used them for making roll-up snacks, vegan/vegetarian style (sweet and savory). Sorry no pics on the last two, but they were equally good … better even, since my rolling skills improved.

Whole Grain Spelt Tortillas - Vegan

True, I will be fooling around with this wholesome tortilla recipe in the future, it just seems to have so much potential. But, it is also awesome as is, so I really wanted to share it with you here. Plus, I love, love, love that they use so few ingredients (no additives!), are totally whole grain, and quite economical (have you seen the price of good tortillas these days?). Oh yes, and they are tasty too … husband approved.

Whole Grain Spelt Tortilla

Rolling out the tortilla dough is more of an art than I expected, and does take some practice. If you happen to have a tortilla press, this recipe will be insanely fast. If not, allow a little extra time for rolling and cooking … you will speed up with practice. Also, I like my tortillas burrito-sized, so I just make 6. Eight makes them a generous taco-size in my opinion.

Recipe from Recipezaar. This recipe is Vegan / Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, and Sugar-Free.

• 2 Cups Spelt Flour (whole grain)
  • 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Salt (I like to use half the amount, but your call)
  • 1-1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 3/4 Cup Hot Water

In a bowl, mix all ingredients well. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 20 minutes.

Divide into 8 equal parts [6 for larger tortillas] and let sit, covered, another 20 minutes.

Roll each ball out to a 6- or 7-inch circle shape. I’ve found it helps to flatten each ball with your hand. Then take the rolling pin and roll from the center outwards, back and forth a few times as you go around the circle. When it starts to get thinner, take your left hand (if you’re right handed) and turn the tortilla a couple inches. Use your right hand to use the rolling pin (holding in the middle) and roll from the center outwards. Keep turning and rolling until it is paper thin.

Preheat a skillet on medium high heat. Place a tortilla into the skillet and watch until bubbles form. This won’t take long [about 30 to 60 seconds].

After bubbles form, and the bottom is lightly brown (or there are darker spots), flip over, press down once or twice [I prefer not to press down, this is an option], and cook for about 30-45 seconds, or if smoke appears.

Cook remaining tortillas, watching carefully, and place in a plastic bag, with wet paper towels in between them (or at least on top and bottom of stack) to keep them soft and moist.

These are best if used fresh, but you can refrigerate them if needed [careful as they can dry out], or remove the paper towels and freeze.

Yields 6 to 8 whole grain tortillas

Whole Grain Spelt Tortillas - Vegan

Blog Events:

Submitted this recipe to Family Food Fridays

1. Eunice Chou says:

These look great!!! Can you substitute regular whole wheal flour for the spelt flour? Where did you get your spelt flour?

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming, One Frugal Foodie. One Frugal Foodie said: Economical Whole-Grain Spelt Tortillas http://bit.ly/bWrLdR […]

3. Shannon says:

ooh, i really have to give these a try 🙂 they look awesome!

4. These look great! I’ve been wanting to make my own tortillas for awhile now.

Jenn

5. Oh YUM! That looks great! I love wraps!

6. welcome back! thx for the props on my DL pic.

I am impressed you guys are growing real food from seeds! impressive!

hope your trip was relaxing and wonderful!
    xo

7. Lovely! I’m eager to give these a gluten-free try. 🙂

8. Mo says:

I’ve saved these to try. I’ve been looking for whole-grain tortilla recipes! 🙂

9. Michelle says:

I love that you made your own tortilla’s at home!!! It’s almost like a flatter savory pancake. My mom loves tortillas but you can’t buy anything that resembles a tortilla at an economical price here in Hong Kong!! That’s where this recipe will come in uber handy!! Thank you dear!

Eunice – You can use whole wheat flour. Just adjust the flour/water as needed if the dough is too moist or too stiff. The different flours can absorb moisture differently, but this can also depend a bit on your environment.

I buy spelt flour at my local grocery store. They actually have two brands in the natural food aisle. I seem to gravitate towards Bob’s Red Mill. Most natural food stores have spelt flour, and many regular grocers do to. but if all else fails, you can always get it online – http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=spelt%20flour&tag=godairyfree-20&index=grocery&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

11. These look really delicious and I love your photos. When I can eat spelt again (fingers crossed) I will be sure to try these out. Thanks so much.

12. Thanks for linking up with Family Food Fridays today. This recipe rocks!

13. Kari says:

Ok, Love the tast of these, but can not replicate the fluffy-ness. I can get the to even be pliable.

Any suggestions?