Gift of Homemade Jam

Posted by on January 4, 2010 | 18 Comments

I love it when the holidays just keep on giving! Four days into the new year, and what should arrive, but a wonderful gift package from Maggie at Dog Hill Kitchen. Out of the blue this lovely lady sent me a gift of homemade treats, including caramels, jams, and almond cookies (for taste-testing the jam!).

homemade jam

And these aren’t just any jams …

homemade jam

Is she amazing or what? Of course, I am not going to leave you all hanging. Though I don’t yet have my own recipes for preserves, Maggie can definitely tell you how to do it. See her posts on:

The nitty gritty of making grape jelly

Autumn olive jam and leather

Thanks Maggie!!

homemadejam2

Filed Under: Tips, Ideas, and Deals

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming, Alisa Fleming. Alisa Fleming said: Gift of Homemade Jam http://bit.ly/8xKhHI […]

Wow, they look so beautiful! I definitely want to get a canning kit in the future! My grandmother used to make hundreds of jars of homemade jams and jellies I grew up eating (and she also sold!) so now I’m spoiled and don’t like the store-bought stuff! 🙂

How sweet! I love Maggie’s blog; she’s so inspiring.

4. That “gift of homemade treats, including caramels, jams, and almond cookies” is amazing!!!
    My mom used to have me give my teacher’s jam she canned. I thought it was so weird how excited my teachers would get when i would bring them jam, as i assumed all moms made jam. As a grown woman, i finally get it 🙂 you lucky dog!
    and your book…OMG it just gets better and better. Alisa, you rock. I read your email, sorry no time to properly reply but you are just my total hero!!!

5. Wendy says:

that sounds soooo delicious! I keep intending to get into making jam . . .

6. kilax says:

Why did I just get a craving for JAM?!!!

What a wonderful gift! 🙂

7. Pam says:

Boy..those look very well done!

Enjoy!

8. thé says:

Hello
    Well my brother likes jam very much.His favorite is bread and jam.I have never tried to cook jam at home.Now I can try.Thanks for this post.I also like Maggie ‘s blog.

I adore homemade food gifts. The jam looks fantastic!

10. Oh, that is so sweet! They are beautiful!

11. Maggie says:

I’m glad you liked them! I also have the Wholemeal-Almond Biscuit recipe online, though I replaced the oat flour with barley flour for this year’s Christmas gifts.

12. This winter was the first time I’ve made jam in, well, the winter! I’ve made it in the summer before and just sort of spontaneously gifted friends and family. This summer we moved, so that didn’t happen, but it was a lot more fun to give jars of jam to people for holiday gifts!

13. Aren’t you lucky!! What a nice surprise to receive in the mail. I bet you were all smily to try such yummy treats! I like Maggie’s packaging and gift tag.

14. My grandmother used to make those homemade treats and I always have some to give as presents to my friends. I really like homemade stuff that I became very picky to what I buy in groceries.

15. Chrysta says:

So awesome! Home made jelly is delicious! I hope you enjoy it!

16. I am sure the quince jam is fabulous. What a unique gift – not something you can just pick up at the local specialty store.

17. Jackie says:

They sound great. Saw some olive jam in the shop recently but didn’t think to try it out….maybe I should?

Hope you have a fabulous 2010.