For the Love of Apple Crisp

Posted by on December 19, 2009 | 15 Comments

Though it can be hard to narrow down, I think we all have a dessert or two that shouts perfection to our palates. I confess that my tastes are really quite simple; my two favorite desserts are still chocolate chip cookies and apple crisp. Don’t bother with the time consuming crust for me, simple baked apples with a sugar-crumble topping is all I need for a true comfort sweet.

My current favorite recipe is still this Crumbly Maple Apple Crisp as I like to call it (I think this is one of the most under-recognized recipes on this blog – trust me, the maple seals the deal!). I made it for my Uncle’s birthday (he too prefers to forgo the pie crust) and everyone raved, even though I snuck in whole wheat flour, unpeeled fiber-rich apples, and oats on them!

crumblyapplecrisp

But, when grandma later requested a “traditional” apple crisp … well, I can never disappoint my sweets loving grandma …

Grandma's Easy Dairy-Free Apple Crumble

Grandma’s Easy Apple Crisp

This recipe is Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, and Soy-Free. You can also sub in your favorite All-purpose gluten-free flour blend for a Gluten-Free Crisp.

• 5 to 6 Medium-sized Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness)
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (optional, I just love cinnamon)
  • 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar, divided (can sub granulated sugar in a pinch)
  • 3/4 Cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1/4 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine (I used Earth Balance Soy-Free)

Preheat your oven to 350ºF.

Prepare the apples and toss with the lemon juice and cinnamon, if using. Evenly distribute 1/2 of the apples in an 8 x 8 baking dish, evenly sprinkle with roughly half of the powdered sugar (6 tablespoons for those of us who are precise!), and top with the remaining apples. Briefly set aside.

In a small bowl, sift together the remaining powdered sugar and the flour. With a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers, blend in the margarine until you get what resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over your apples, and bake for about 55 minutes. If the topping isn’t crisp enough for your liking, feel free to broil it for 1 to 2 minutes to brown it up a bit.

Yields 6 to 8 sweet servings

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alisa Fleming, Alisa Fleming. Alisa Fleming said: For the Love of Apple Crisp http://bit.ly/8ui1BW […]

2. It looks wonderful, Alisa! I bet your grandmother loved it. 🙂 This crisp could easily be made gluten free by just using some gf flour. 😉 Do you use tarter apples or does it matter?

Thanks!

Shirley, they aren’t the best bakers, but often use Gala, as they are easy to find organic for a good price at my local market. Ideally, I would use Golden Delicious. Granny Smiths offer a nice contrast, but are sometimes a bit too tart for my dessert taste-buds.

4. pam says:

Like you, I prefer a lovely crumbly top!

5. Pam says:

Oh yummy!

Enjoy!

6. Erica says:

I agree! I love more simple desserts. Your crisp looks absolutely perfect

7. Andrea says:

Apple crisp is a great ending to any meal. I like my desserts less sweet and apple crisp can easily go either way.

Mmm I love crisps, too! I must have missed the maple one – that DOES sound fantastic!

9. Sarah says:

I am always on the search for new recipes that meet my dietary needs. The apple crisp looks amazing!!

Apple crisp is delicious no matter what…in all of its many and varied forms. Maple, traditional, I could eat it all. This looks fantastic. You’ve spurred a craving in me!

11. Olive says:

I love these, I just made a similar dessert but I think next time I’ll make this ..easy and healthier too! 🙂

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! 😀

12. Erica says:

Yummy! I bet I could do this gluten free with some easy substitutions. And I’ll have to check out the Earth Balance soy-free butter sub., I didn’t know it existed! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, I’m glad you did ’cause now I know about yours!

Sounds delish! I must admit I’m a chocolate chip kinda gal myself 😉

14. […] Traditional sugar fiends, like my grandma and husband may prefer Grandma’s Easy Apple Crisp. […]