Sweet Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie

Posted by on July 1, 2009 | 33 Comments

I am not sure why I never thought of this deliciously simple combination before, but I must thank Bryant Terry for introducing me to it in his latest cookbook, Vegan Soul Kitchen.

In all honesty, I found this book a bit intimidating at first. It appeared far more culinary than my simple, whole food tastes. But once I took some time to really read through it, the magic was unleashed. While it won’t be my go-to book for easy comfort foods, Bryant introduces flavor concepts and pairings that had me down-right intrigued and itching to get into the kitchen. But it was hot, darn hot. So, instead of firing up the stove or oven, I decided to chill out with some inspiration from his Double Watermelon-Strawberry Slushee … and oh what a lovely beverage it was …

vegan soul strawberry watermelon smoothie

Really, for a sweet treat, you could stop at the first two ingredients, watermelon and strawberries. The two, when ripe, seem to pair perfectly. Again, make sure your fruits are ripe and sweet. The watermelon flesh should be a deep pinkish-red and the strawberries should be brilliant in color and delightful to the taste.

Sweet Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie

Recipe adapted from Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry

This recipe is Vegan (use agave), Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, and Fat-Free

• 2 Cups (or about 12 ounces) Watermelon Balls (no seeds!)
  • 3/4 to 1 Cup Strawberry Halves, frozen
  • 1 to 2 Teaspoons Fresh Lime Juice
  • 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar, Honey, or Sugar (or to taste)
  • Ice (optional)

Place the watermelon in your blender, followed by the strawberries. Blend until smooth. You may need to push the watermelon down a bit to get it going, but once it starts to blend the juices will be released to keep it going. Blend in the lime juice, sweetener, and ice, if using. If you do choose honey, keep in mind that it doesn’t dissolve as well in cold liquids as agave and sugar. Give it a good blend to prevent any “chunks” of honey from remaining.

Yields 1 cool and refreshing serving

*********************************************

5 Good Things Since My Last Post

(I love reading the daily positive notes shared by others, and thought it was about time I started logging my own happy times for some good energy)

1. My husband and I took a wonderful long weekend in Bend, Oregon, and had fun hiking Smith Rock and around the lava fields.
  2. Lots of cuddle time with my loving cat after we returned home.
  3. We also came home to loads of book orders to keep us busy shipping this week.
  4. We found a dozen 10 oz packages of flash-frozen wild alaskan salmon and wild mahi mahi on clearance for $2.50 a piece.
  5. I had the opportunity to learn from a wonderful gluten-free group I spoke with on the East Coast. Thanks Shirley!

What a happy post! And congrats on your magazine interview, too!

2. Cindy says:

minus the lime juice I actually have those ing on hand to make that smoothie.

PERFECT for a warm morning!

3. Anne K. says:

Ooh that looks delicious! What a summery smoothie :D

Wow, this looks so refreshing and perfect just in time for July 4th weekend. Congrats on all the happy items, I’m jealous of the fish! ;)

5. Sarena says:

The smoothie looks refreshing! I am so glad you had a great time on your trip. Sounds like it was a nice return to home too with the book sales! Glad to have you back!

That DOES look terrific! I bet it would be sweet enough even w/o the agave. Yum! And some great “good news,” too. :)

7. Rebeca says:

I love slushies! Yum!

omg I think I’m most jealous of number 2!

8. pam says:

That sounds so good! And on your positive notes – I am so jealous of the fish!!!

9. I make a lot of smoothies, aren’t they great. Almost taste like a milkshake

10. […] Alisa at One frugal foodie posted THIS […]

11. ohhh…lovely colors. love making smoothies. our favorite though, is avocados..

12. Baylee says:

mmm that smoothie looks AMAZING!!

Perfect to cool down this summer!!

13. Marianne says:

Talk about the perfect summer drink :)

14. That smoothie is gorgeous and looks super refreshing!

I love the list of positive things! It’s a great way to practice gratitude, and it’s something I should do more often. Good for you!

15. Ashley says:

Yum that looks really refreshing!

16. sally says:

Hi

Just found your site and can’t tell you how impressed I am. The first two things I made worked! Look forward to reading more.

17. DebinHawaii says:

The smoothie looks delicious–a great combo of flavors. I have been thinking about trying that book so it is great to hear the comments on it.

BTW–great score on the fish!

18. Jodye says:

This sounds so refreshing and looks beautiful!

19. Michele says:

This smoothie looks so good!

20. Kevin says:

That smoothie looks so good and refreshing for a hot summer day!

21. I am a huge watermelon & strawberry lover – this looks like it would hit the spot. In fact, I like it so much that I linked to – my post is Smooth Watermelon Granita and thought your smoothie was another tasty way to use up extra watermelon.

22. Ruth Rogers says:

I have become obsessed with watermelon. Thanks for this recipe. I am going to make it with all the leftover watermelon I have from my 4th of July bbqs!

23. Jennifer R. says:

Oh, I love smoothies… I’ve also made this one with kiwi and it is delicious!!

Thanks for speaking with our group… it was very informative :) (Shirley’s)

24. […] “food movement” at Food Renegade. I am submitting last week’s recipe, the Sweet Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie for Fight Back Fridays on that blog. No […]

25. Yoga Witch says:

Oh, this looks GOOD!

Glad you had fun in Bend – I live in Bend! Do you live in OR or was this a big trip?

26. Yoga Witch says:

Thanks for the email! Let me know if you ever need any Bend info!

BTW, I tried this recipe today and it was DELISH!

27. Lauren B says:

I spotted some watermelon on sale at Whole Foods thatw would be perfect for this. Thanks for the refreshing summer meal idea! Great photo–love that vibrant pink color.

28. […] with you here, but first, I know what some of you must be thinking.  First, I entice you with this Strawberry-Watermelon Smoothie, and now this cool sweet-tart concoction, but what in the world is my small household going to do […]

29. […] here to see her recipe for Sweet Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie. Sounds decadent, doesn’t […]

30. […] for me, I came across this recipe a while back and thought I’d see if it could breathe some life into my dull watermelon.  […]

31. Kelly says:

Just made the smoothie with my kids…YUM!

32. college girl says:

This recipe for a watermelon smoothie sounds great!! I can’t wait to try it!!

33. […] Sweet Strawberry-Watermelon Soul Smoothie (pictured below) […]