Non-Fat Salad Dressing Bursting with Flavor

Posted by on May 6, 2009 | 21 Comments

Have you ever tried Low Fat Mayonnaise? Seriously, who’s evil invention was that stuff??!! The new fitness plan we are on calls for a leaner menu. And while almost all of the food/recipes are completely whole food based, they do call for a couple of ingredients that I might not normally purchase … one being low fat mayo.

At first, I thought I could get away with using the regular stuff or Vegenaise (the grapeseed oil one is our household favorite), but it is about 4 times the fat of the low fat version (over budget). So I thought, what the heck. Trader Joe’s had a good price on a light version with all natural ingredients (unfortunately only available in the larger size), so we decided to give it a go. Biggest mistake ever!

It was to be used in making tuna salad (destroyed my good quality tuna), chicken salad (skipped it after tasting what it did to the tuna), and a ranch salad dressing (I just won’t go there). The gelatin-like texture and odd overly-lemon but not quite there taste were just not my cup of tea. My husband dealt, but I shrieked and grumbled for days about how horrible the stuff was.

Not wanting to listen to my own whines anymore, I set out to find a new salad dressing that would still offer a low fat profile. And thanks to All Recipes, I found a winner. This tangy dressing is able to hold its own against a bed of greens, but is sweet and pleasant enough to keep you shoveling those greens down. I highly recommend it.

Non-Fat Curry Salad Dressing

Sweet and Tangy Non-Fat Curry Vinaigrette
Adapted only slightly from All Recipes

• 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
  • 4 Teaspoons Honey or Agave Nectar
  • 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
  • 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard

Whisk everything together in a small bowl, and douse liberally over your favorite salad.

Note: The original recipe said to season to taste with salt and pepper, but I felt these additions unnecessary. If anything, maybe some fresh ground pepper over the salad after the fact. Also, they said 6 servings, I don’t quite agree, see below …

Yields 4 servings

Now, if anyone has an idea for how to use up the other 3/4 jar of low fat mayo lurking in our fridge, please do tell!

1. jenn says:

make a mayo-chocolate cate! the dark chocolate flavor will probably kill out the weird low-fat mayo taste!

2. Emily says:

Alisa,

Do you think stevia would work in this recipe? That would lower the calorie count even more.

If you still have the TJ’s receipt you might be able to return the mayo. TJs is pretty good about that.

With Love,

Emily

3. Sarena says:

I hate mayo, so I am really no help with that! The dressing sounds really good and super simple. You know I will try a fat free dressing!

4. Sue Angell says:

You could make your own mayo from scratch and use less. 🙂

I subscribe to the idea of eating “real” stuff, but less of it while on a “diet.”

5. RunToFinish says:

hmm I guess I’m weird, I kinda like miracle whip. BUT your salad dressing sounds way more appealing!

Oh, I hate light mayo too. BLECK! Try the new Hellman’s Olive Oil one – I tried it last summer and was pleasantly surprised. I don’t think it’s AS healthy as the “lite” but isn’t as unhealthy as regular.

7. Erin says:

Ew, just dump the lf mayo.

That curry dressing sounds delish. I love All Recipes.

Emily – I am not sure on the stevia. It would definitely alter the flavor. If sugar is a concern, I would suggest cutting the honey or agave in half (it’s still tasty). If you do try stevia, just a touch at first as it could overpower or clash with the flavors. But since it is a small batch, it may be worth a try!

On the mayo – my husband has been using the mayo (just a bit) too coat chicken and bake with curry spices for “healthy” chicken strip appies.

It’s a big jar though, so more ideas are welcom!

10. Alison says:

Thanks for the dressing! I definitely want to try that now.
    I don’t mind light mayo…but I actually don’t really like mayo. I only use it in recipes. So it tastes bad to me whether or not it’s light.

11. elly says:

This sounds like a great recipe. I was just talking today about how I wanted to start using agave in things. I don’t like regular mayo, but light mayo is 10x worse in my book!

12. jaime says:

yummy! that salad dressing sounds delish! 🙂 thanks for sharing girl!

13. averagebetty says:

Best Foods light is OK. The only thing is, there are more sugars and carbs in light mayo… so I say, exercise 😉
    You could always put the light mayo in your hair. I’ve *heard* that’s good for it!

14. kickpleat says:

Wow, this looks so great! I bet it would be great over a rice salad too.

15. Diann says:

Sorry, I never buy mayo. This dressing looks really good!

16. Maui says:

Have not tried your recipe.. will do tomorrow and let you know the outcome. Never actually thot curry would give it a go eyy.. 🙂

17. Lulu says:

If you have dry hair, you could use the mayo as a moisturizer. But I suspect it is long gone by now. Might be good for the fur of a dog or cat…

18. stacey jo says:

why get so hung up on extra mayo…THROW IT AWAY and stop fretting…

19. Rachelle says:

Yummy, this dressing sounds great.

To use up the mayo.

1 cup mayo
    1 egg
    bag frozen broccoli thawed (don’t use fresh)
    1/2- 1 cup grated cheese
    Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Mix together and put in a casserole dish, bake t 375 for about 45-60 mins, till set and bubbling on top. It’s real hit. You can also use a bag of mixed veg, but I prefer just broccoli.

20. Sharon Mancini says:

Because of diabetes, honey and anything with sugar is out of the question. What would you suggest as a substitute?