Sugar-Free, Guilt-Free Banana Bread

Posted by on January 10, 2009 | 16 Comments

The Breakfast-Worthy Banana Bread recipe is now viewable in a new post for you to trial!

With a couple of over-ripe bananas beckoning from the counter, I knew it was time to take some baking action.  Luckily, blogging buddy Ricki reminded me of the “Breakfast-Worthy Banana Bread” in Go Dairy Free. Though I was a banana shy of a full loaf, the recipe could easily be halved to make 2 mini loaves! (The original recipe will make 4 mini loaves or 1 9×5-inch loaf)

About a year ago, I found myself a bit lost when faced with yet another mound of darkening bananas. With piles of cookies and sugary treats lingering in our house, a sweet banana loaf was the last thing we needed.  But then, I began to wonder what a quick bread would turn out like with no sugar at all.  After all, aren’t overripe bananas sweet enough on their own?  As it turns out, the bananas add just a hint of sweetness to the bread making it perfect to enjoy with jam in the morning, or any time of day really … and best of all, it is virtually guilt-free … no added sugars AND made with whole grain flour (the one pictured below is 100% spelt)!

Of course, you can add a pinch of stevia or some sugar if you please, but I recommend just a tablespoon or two, and certainly no more than 1/4 cup for the whole recipe.  It isn’t intended to be a dessert, but rather a nutricious quick bread that you can enjoy anytime of day, topped with jam, honey, or your favorite spread.

So, for those of you who have my book, the mini loaves seem to take 22-24 minutes at 350º to bake to perfection. I was out of vanilla extract (I know, and I call myself a baker!), so I subbed in almond extract (about 3/4 teaspoon), topped each little loaf with a generous tablespoon of sliced almonds, and slathered my first slice with … I am a bit predictable aren’t I? … almond butter!

Mini Sugar-Free, Spelt Banana Bread Loaf

Whether you use my recipe, or prefer to tinker with your own banana bread recipe, try cutting way back on the sugar for banana bread that isn’t made for gifting, but rather for a quick, tasty, and healthy breakfast or snack!

I absolutely loved this bread! It’s banana-y without being very sweet–the perfect base for a little sweet jam or spread (though I love it most with almond butter!). This has been picking me up in the mornings for several days now. Thanks so much, Alisa! 🙂

2. VeggieGirl says:

Holy yum, of course!! 😀

3. Janet says:

Your banana bread looks lovely with the slivered almonds on top:) I don’t like to make mine sugary either, I usually use a bit of agave nectar and stevia.

4. Vegetation says:

Mmm that looks wonderful!

5. JennShaggy says:

Thanks, Alisa 🙂
    I thoroughly enjoyed your TJs top ten list. The Toscano Marinara rocks my world when I’m feeling lazy.

6. Libby says:

Beautiful bread, beautiful photo! Thanks for the vegan magazine tip!

Thanks all!

And Ricki, I am so glad you like it … and you are right, it really is a make-ahead bread (I forgot to mention that) – I love it even more the next morning.

8. Sarena says:

I have this one bookmarked! I actually don’t have mini loaf pans, but I just got some jumbo muffin pans that I want to use this recipe for. Sometimes, you just need a big fat muffin and this recipe seems like the perfect fit!

9. glenn says:

could u please send me your sugar free banana bread recipe my wife just found out she is diabetic and im tryin to help thanks so much

10. denise says:

hey i would love to have your recipe!! 🙂
    drop me an email or something yeah? thanks!

11. Lisa says:

Wow! Looks delicious! My brother’s wife is pregnant and she is having a really difficult time with morning sickness. He said that banana bread is one of the only things she can stomach right now but she would like it to be sugar free…so I was trying to find a good recipe. Could you email it to me please? I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

12. I am on a restricted diet and would love to have your recipe. It looks great! Thanks. marilee

13. Kelli Russell says:

This looks great! Is there anyway you could email the recipe to me please.

14. tranabanana says:

This sounds like exactly what I’m looking for! I’m trying to give up sugar, but I’d like to have a sweet treat I could make the kids and still be able to eat myself. I’d love to have the recipe, if you’re giving it out. Thanks!

15. Dorothy J says:

what a picture perfect loaf. I would really like the recipe.

16. […] maybe not ALL of  you, but ever since I posted about the Breakfast-Worthy Banana Bread from my book, Go Dairy Free, I have been flooded with requests for the recipe. It is in the book […]