- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oats (rolled or quick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups of leftover cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain, or vanilla milk alternative (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 egg (1/4 cup applesauce or even try pumpkin as an alternative)
- Finely chopped crystalized ginger (optional)
Preheat your oven oven to 400°F and grease about a dozen muffin tins (I had some overflow and needed 14).
In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the milk alternative, oil, cranberry sauce and egg until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. A few lumps remaining are okay; do not overmix. Fill your muffin cups and if desired, sprinkle little bits of crystalized ginger over top. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until they take on a light brown hue and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin (strategically dodging any remaining whole cranberries) comes out clean.
Yields 12-14 muffins