Whole Foods Trashes Plastic

Posted by on January 25, 2008 | 6 Comments

Well, not literally…. by Earth Day 2008 they will only use paper bags and encourage consumers to bring reusables – http://consumerist.com/347538/whole-foods-will-eliminate-plastic-bags-says-bring-your-own.  Just had to spread the good news.

Paper bags are still a huge waste, so do pick up a couple of reusables … trust me… they are awesome!  And of course, cheap!  99 cents each at Whole Foods and other major grocers.  I have one from Capers in Vancouver and two from Trader Joe’s.  They are huge, easy to carry, and super convenient for everything from groceries to packing up “car stuff” for road trips or taking food to potlucks.

Filed Under: Tips, Ideas, and Deals

1. Sarena says:

I am always concerned about that. I was talking to my husband the other day about needing to get some of the reusable bags. I go to the store just about every other day, so I never really have a ton of groceries. I will get some the next time I go.

2. VeggieGirl says:

this made me so happy – my family ONLY uses reusable bags for groceries and such. it’s a great step in the right direction – I hope more grocery chains follow suit!

Sarena ~ Yes, beyond the environmental impact even, once you go reusable you won’t want to go back! They are so much easier to use and handle.

VeggieGirl ~ Awesome. I have a question for you. We were using any remaining plastic bags as trash bags. Now that I have become so diligent with the reusables, we have no trash bags left! Do you have any “environmental” suggestions for trash bags?

4. VeggieGirl says:

unfortunately, we’re still using “regular” trash bags (**hides in shame**); but if YOU find out any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!!

5. Astra Libris says:

I just discovered your site, and I’m so glad I did! Your site is beautiful, and, as a broke student happily struggling through the challange of fixing fresh, delicious, healthful meals on a budget, I’m both excited and thankful to find a site that combines natural foods and frugality. Thank you for the inspiration!

Also, thank you for filling us in on the incredible 99c reusable bags at whole foods! I’ve been wondering where to find more, to add to my current collection, at an affordable price (I saw some the other day for $5 each! Eeek!) Thank you!

6. Cody says:

I was surprised to see that even our local supermarket has reusable bags now… and the huge self-check lanes makes it no hassle at all.

I’ve only just recently picked up a few bags myself, so I’m still in the “transitional” period, I suppose.

And, as for trash bags… we use 100% recycled bags from the store. It’s not the best option, but it’s better than some. Plus, if you’re diligent about recycling and buying products with less wasteful packaging… I’d guess trash bags wouldn’t be such a huge issue. (Another thing I’m slowly working on.)