Virtuous Morning Muffins & A New (to me) Fruit

Posted by on January 7, 2008 | 7 Comments

My husband and I spent the holidays in British Columbia with his family.  Every day of the visit we would make our pilgrimage to the Whole Foods (a whopping ¼ mile from his parents house) for a jumbo muffin with tea.  Now, the muffins in Vancouver are quite unlike those we see at Whole Foods stateside.  These are dense, ginormous, mountains of hearty goodness that are surely 1000 calories each.  But we had to have them everyday, it was the holidays and vacation after all!My husband now states he would love to return to those mornings when I had homemade bread or muffins awaiting his peanut butter and jam.  Really, I still love to bake, but had merely fallen out of the habit.

So, with the healthy New Year’s wishes upon us, I set out to make some virtuous morning muffins with a fruit I had never tried before, persimmons.  You can replace the persimmons with another fruit or vegetable-fruit puree if you wish.  Next time I make these, I may add a touch more oil, “milk,” or puree for more moisture, as they became a bit too dense after day 2 with all of the heartiness.  I also prefer less sugar in the morning, so we stuck with just ¼ cup of sugar, but if you like yours on the sweet side, then feel free to shake in a bit more.

Persimmon Muffins

Whole Wheat Persimmon Muffins

1 ¼ Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 – 1 ½ Teaspoons Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
Pinch Cloves
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Oil (may want to increase this by a tablespoon or two)
¾ Cup Persimmon Puree (I used Hachiyas, make sure they are extremely ripe) or other fruit puree
¼ Cup Sugar of Choice (I used evaporated cane juice)
¼ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
¼ Cup Rice Milk, or other Milk Alternative
½ Cup Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350º and grease 8 muffin tins.

Combine the flour through baking soda in a small bowl, and set aside.  In a large bowl, blend the oil through rice milk.  Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet mixture, being careful not to overmix.  Stir in the walnuts and equally divide the batter between your prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

1. jd says:

These muffins look great!

Plus, the fact that they have the word “persimmon” in their title actually helps take the focus off the fact that they’re healthy 🙂

Yum!

2. VeggieGirl says:

sounds like your holidays were quite enjoyable!! these muffins are very intriguing, since I’ve never had persimmons before – they look delicious!!

3. Mmmm the muffins sound good… and I’ve never had persimmons before either.

4. janelle says:

You were in BC? So close!!! That is where my brother and family live! Let me know next time you plan on landing there and I will try to time a trip up.

It is one of my tongue-in-cheek resolutions to try and get up in the mornings, early, and make the first meal of the day more special… but that means going to bed on time and I am not so good at that!

Ah, I didn’t even think about it! We are planning to be in BC a lot this summer (escaping the desert heat) so we will have to meet up!

I started a new trick. I stir up all of the dry ingredients (including sugar) in a large bowl the night before. I place all non-remaining items next to the bowl (fruit, oil, vanilla, etc.) along with a greased muffin tin. In the morning, I just add the remaining ingredients and bake!

My husband is always so hungry in the mornings, I couldn’t get them baked in time, but this really helped.

6. vegetalion says:

I once had an unripe hachiya persimmon and it scarred me forever. I’ll stick with fuyu – but I’ll definitely make this recipe!

7. I am so glad you posted this recipe! I have 2 persimmon trees in the yard, and every year I wonder what I can do with them.