Fabulous – yet completely unphotogenic – Fruit Crisp

Posted by on December 7, 2007 | 8 Comments

I think my favorite dessert of all time is apple crisp.  I have never liked pie very much in its traditional form, that pesky crust getting in the way.  Just the fruity filling topped with those sugary sweet crispy crumbles makes my tastebuds swoon.

Of course once in a while you have to mix things up… well just a bit anyways.  I found a great recipe suggesting a fruit crisp using apples, pears, and cranberries.  Some added spices, a few quick alterations to make it dairy-free, and what the heck, just another little tweak to make it vegan, and we had a winner!

Alas, my favorite dessert happens to be one of the most unphotogenic, so please forgive me for the lack of an image showing the luscious contents.  Somehow the jumble of crumbs and fruit compote is best left to professional photographers rather than my rookie attempts.  Nonetheless, here is a quick view and recipe!  Enjoy….

fruitcrisp.jpg

Fabulous Fruit Crisp

(Vegan, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)

• 5 pears and/or apples (I used 3 pears, 2 apples, and I like to leave the skin on for flavor and fiber), cored and cubed
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour (really, any flour will do)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice or orange juice
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
  • 7-8 tablespoons margarine or a scant 1/2 cup (I like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8 inch baking dish.

Mix the apples, pears, cranberries, 1 tablespoon flour, maple syrup, and juice in the prepared dish.

In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, oats, walnuts, spices, and margarine to the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle loosely over the fruit mixture.

Bake 30-40 minutes, or until brown and crisp on top.

In my house, this makes about 6 servings, but we like our crisp!

1. VeggieGirl says:

I’ve never had apple-crisp before, but it looks quite tempting and scrumptious! yum! and please, it looks FANTASTIC in the photograph! but even if it didn’t, it’s the TASTE that matters the most :0)

Oh my, you must try it! The margarine in the crumb can be hard to sub out, but there may be a good option. Aside from that, if you want to use all natural sweeteners, Sucanat subs easily for the brown sugar.

3. Sarena says:

I love apple crisp! I will have to try it next time with pears too! Yum!

4. Oooohhh, this looks good! I am needing a dessert for a family function and this just might be it! I’ll have to see what fruit I have in the fridge right now – my boys love their pears! 🙂

Thanks for stopping by my recipe blog. I’m glad you did so I can try some of these great recipes! I’ll be back!!

5. jessica~ says:

Oh, my… that looks delcious! I’m thinking this could be a great dessert for xmas dinner with the in-laws. Thanks!

6. […] I have always left the peels on for both flavor and nutrition. In fact, my recently created Fruit Crisp recipe included both unpeeled pears and […]

7. […] I have always left the peels on for both flavor and nutrition. In fact, my recently created Fruit Crisp recipe included both unpeeled pears and […]

8. Susan says:

YES! I have a handful of tart apples left over from our fruit share. I just bought some local organic cream that I will convince my hubby to turn into vanilla ice cream. NUM.