For the Love of Lemongrass

Posted by on November 27, 2007 | 5 Comments

After finding out that my “perfect” tea (Good Earth White & Green Tea Blend) is infused with lemongrass, and discovering that the secret ingredient at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant is lemongrass, I have been eager to cook with lemongrass at home.

I finally had the opportunity to do this with the Thai Coconut Corn Stew from Eat, Drink & be Vegan.  And boy was it good!  I made it with regular coconut milk for the full richness effect, and it was one awesomely thick soup.  Rich with corn, yet fairly easy to make (once you have cut up all the veggies), I was delighted when I took my first sip/bite (it was a hearty soup) to unleash a wonderful array of flavors on my tongue.

thaicornstew.jpg

Needless to say, I will be cooking with lemongrass again, and I will be trialing many more recipes from this great (and did I mention nutritious?) cookbook.

Since this recipe isn’t posted online, I don’t feel that I can divulge it.  But, next on my list is the Mellow Lentil “Sniffle” Soup, which is posted up on Dreena’s site.  I hate to post and not give you any recipes!

Filed Under: Cookbook Trials

1. Mariposa says:

that soup looks yummy!
    reminds me of my mother’s corn chowder, which is one of my favorite soups of all time!

It really is yummy. I have to say, with the cold weather in my city right now, Dreena’s cookbook is well worth it just for the fabulously hearty soup, stew, and chili recipes! I am on number three, and all are fabulous.

3. Liz says:

Lemongrass is my favorite, too! I’m sure I will love that soup, then. Thanks for the recommendation. It snowed today and that soup sounds perfect.

4. VeggieGirl says:

I have yet to cook with lemongrass, but I figure that if it’s in a recipe by Dreena Burton, then it MUST be good!! I jsut may have to give it a try :0)

5. jd says:

I’m so glad that I came across this post – I’ve been curious about how this recipe would turn out.

I actually had bad luck making a corn chowder recipe a while back (which wasn’t from ED&BV, obviously), so I’ve been weary of corn-based soup recipes since.

However, this looks delicious. And I can’t wait to see how that lemongrass is.

Thanks!