Now, I can’t say exactly how much ginger to use in the whole batch, as I divided up the batch leaving some ginger-free for my cookie-loving, ginger-averse husband.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Ginger Surprise
- 2-1/4 Cups Flour (All-Purpose, White-Wheat, or a Gluten-Free blend with xanthan gum – I successfully tried one from Authentic Foods in this recipe)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar or Evaporated Cane Juice
- 3/4 Cup Margarine (Really, those Earth Balance Buttery Sticks are the best… and no trans fat!)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 12 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I love the ones from Trader Joe’s that are rather generous in size, but those are subject to cross-contamination. Check with the Enjoy Life or Tropical Source brands for severe allergies)
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup Finely Diced Ginger (I diced it very fine to keep the ginger from overpowering the cookies, see the picture below of a whole cube next to a diced one. However, I love ginger, so I may double the size of my bits next time).
Preheat oven to 350º
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, sugars, and vanilla. Add the eggs, and mix them in to make a nice creamy dough. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until everything is well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and as many ginger bits as you would like, by hand. [If you have some ginger-averse taste buds in your house, just divide up the dough and make a ginger loaded batch for yourself.] Drop globs of the dough by the tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until they are no longer doughy in the center and are just turning golden around the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Inhale while warm as the gooey melting chocolate coats the ginger bits with each bite… yum!
I have some Ginger-Spiked Molasses Cookie Dough chilling in the fridge, to be baked up tomorrow. That one is even vegan (egg-free), we shall see how it works out! I will keep you posted.